1. What is your background James and tell us a bit about yourself.I was fortunate enough to be born in the sheep yards almost literally. Both parents were from farming families and instilled in myself and my sister Tara (FBM 09) the importance of strong family connectedness, hard work and constant improvement and growth.
2. What drew you to a career in Agriculture?Agriculture is in my blood and I will always be involved in this industry. There are incredible opportunities and exciting challenges for Australian producers with growing potential to send high value products into newly emerging markets around the world.
3. Why did you choose to study at Marcus Oldham College?Marcus Oldham is one of the premier agricultural education institutions in Australia, and has been on my radar since my secondary school days.
4. Congratulations James on gaining a 2018 Nuffield Scholarship! Tell us a bit about the research project you will be undertaking as part of the scholarship.I am aiming to help increase productivity of Australian farming businesses by overcoming issues such as water logging and short finishes by ameliorating soil structure issues caused by sodicity.
5. What is your driving passion behind your learning?Personal growth is the driving passion behind my learning. Formal and informal education is a huge part of my life and it means I can live life with a huge amount of energy and excitement.